Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Working amidst the networking opportunities

We had a day full of networking opportunities and meetings at InSights today. I overheard a conversation from a woman who was wondering when she would have time to get any work done. Interesting question, considering I have the same dilemma. So, here we are late at night and I am writing a blog post, twittering, and updating my facebook account. Where does the balance come in to the in person social activites that are so important for growing our contact spheres? Does anyone have any advice on their strategy and how to keep it all simple?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fairly rigid time based scheduling, and software tools to assist in keeping track.

Ie allocate X minutes to twitter Y times a day/weel/month etc, when the time is up, its on to the next activity. Same with other online networking activities. Consistency is critical in any type of online networking... drop off for a month, and you loose a lot of momentum if you were operating on a daily basis.

Software wise... design a system which works best for YOU on paper, then once you prove it out, go find a tool which comes closest to your paper design. Otherwise, the tool rules you instead of the other way around.

Dr Kathy said...

I find it best to start with a list of things I want to accomplish that day. Then, what that I find to be productive, is to create blocks of time. I use a timer, for say 1/2 hour at a time. If I am home and wanting to read a book or clean my house, etc, and want to get involved with my new social networking addiction on the internet, I set the timer for 30 minutes at a time and do one project (using my list of things I want to accomplish,) then I switch to the other activity for 30 minutes. I get much more done when I am racing against the clock and it keeps me focused to be productive and I still get time to play. I used this with my kids when they were young for homework as well.